Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Vancouver, Vancouver, this is it!"

Those were the last words heard from David. A. Johnston an American volcanologist. He was killed by the eruption of Mount St. Helens on May 18, 1980.  In 1980 when Mahesh, my son was only five his little sister three, I took them to see the devastation caused by the volcano's eruption. Today thirty years later Mahesh and I went back to Mt. St. Helens, this time we were up close and personal. We were at the observatory named after Johnston, it has been erected where Johnston was stationed those thirty years ago. The volcano was majestic before it "blew" it's top and now there is something painful about the volcano, there is a part of it missing forever, though the magma keeps building up and a dome is trying to push up, the majesty of pre-eruption will not be regained. The reminders of the awesome fury of the eruption were visible everywhere. Huge tree trunks left snapped in half dotted the adjoining mountain terrain. I was so tempted to bring a small piece of the felled trees with me but my son would not allow me to fall off the "wagon".. I am after all a recovering rockoholic! Too many pieces of rocks or pieces of wood have found their way back home in earlier travels, but no more.  I made a promise a long time ago to leave those treasures in their homeland and not transport them to Oklahoma. I kept my promise, though today it was the hardest thing I have ever done!
Today I was able to walk a lot without pain, I am so grateful for the prolotherapy. I hope more people will educate themselves about this least invasive procedure.
I had such a wonderful day with Mahesh, we ate the soggy tomato and cheese sandwiches with Coke and potato chips and enjoyed deep philosophical discussions.  It was a memorable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment